Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Fun times

Had a great time at Marc's last night despite losing HU to Robin when I had about a 6:1 chip lead at one point... I can never beat her. She could be using Uno cards and I'd get pwned every time. Still $10 to the good on the evening.

The HUSTs went very well, still have a quarter of the session to go but I was very happy with it this morning. Tonight I'll close that up and play the SNGs on UB. I was gonna do those on Wednesday but I've changed my mind.

Another thing I've decided on is how I plan on using my time. I want to play as much as I can but lets face it, I still have a job and a family to balance as well. While I have the support of my family and I've not had any time issues yet I've come to see that structuring a tight schedule just isn't that feasible.

For example, I decided to take my "off day" last night to go out (sure I played poker, but not the same thing really). My wife had forgotten about it and while had no trouble with it at all she did show a little disappointment that her planned "Wii Family Night" on my usual off day on Wednesday wouldn't include me this time. To be honest, that sucks. We don't have so much free time as it is to really do a whole lot of stuff like that... can I really just cast it aside because I jot down some schedule for poker? I think not.

Also, something else I had already realized but didn't actually plan on was study. I'm still growing as a poker player and I need to set some time for read, review, or otherwise to improve my play. Just like my son I need to set aside some time to do "homework", whether its reviewing a hand history or trying to learn something new.

So what I've decided is to simply go back to what I was doing before as far as when I played, just play more often is all. I still have those volume goals and I'll keep them. I'm still planning on playing a schedule similar to what I have set down... it just won't be set in stone. If I want/need to take 2 or 3 days off in a week, I will. If I have time to play, I will... whether its for 1 hour or 11 hours. As long as I play, does it really matter when?

Some time spots won't change... the weekends are pretty much staying as is since I've been doing that anyway (and its the best time to play to be honest). The weeknight evenings are the ones I'm a little more concerned with, Sundays to a lesser extent. But in the end why should I restrict myself so much? In the long run I'll ensure that the game remains as fun to play as it always has been this way... instead of making it feel like a grind.

We'll see how it goes from here... I think it'll be just fine. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment