Monday, March 1, 2010

Weekend Report Time

I played a bit but not as much as some other weekends past. I did manage to get in some SNGs on UB and solidify my standing on the monthly TLB so I'll be in the freeroll. I also finished off my HUSTs when needed. Overall February wasn't great but I feel I played well. The SNGs were solid but I never did land enough strong MTT scores this time around.

Saturday I had a couple family related things going on so my volume got hurt by that, however it was worth it. Life>Poker and all that ya know. My wife and I went to see "Shutter Island" and I think it was the best movie I've seen since "The Dark Knight". I can argue its a better movie but we are comparing apples and oranges here so I won't say that. I'm not going to compare this movie to anything else, you just need to go and see it for yourself.

Sunday I went to go play in a quarterly tournament for one of the local poker leagues. They have free games in some of the bars, etc. in the area and I managed to play a few and win a couple times so I was invited. It was a "weighed" tournament were people who play more (and generally win more) get more chips. I thought of it as a handicap since, to be honest, most of them are fish.

Anyway, they split it up into two days and each day has about 200+ players in it so its not small. Only the final 11 wins anything so its a very top-heavy payout so you gotta get in there and find any good spot to pick up some chips. I found such a spot fairly early when I got all my chips in with AKs on a QT9 board that had two spades on it... but I bricked out and busted. Would have more than tripled my stack if I had caught, but no one ever accused me of hitting draws.

One of the sponsors of the event was Deep Stacks Unviersity, an online training/teaching site that started last year. The guy that started it is from the area and he has managed to partner with Mike Matasow. He also has a few big name instructors, one of which is T.J. Cloutier. He was there signing a few autographs and was also "entered" into the tournament as a bounty prize... he got busted before I did.

I'm not big on following poker players but I did go shake his hand and chatted briefly with him. He seemed to be enjoying himself and as far as I know no one asked him about the WSOP bracelet of his that was supposedly in a pawn shop in Texas somewhere. Maybe its true but I decided not to bring it up. :)

Tonight is a home game at Marc's so we'll have some fun with that. The rest of the week will be hitting the online felt. I'm cutting down on the HUST volume so I can more easily bring up the SNG/MTT volume now. I've already played them for today (I went 16-13 so we're up!) and it was easy to do this morning. I'm going to like getting those completed quickly, I can already tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment