Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Father's Day Update

Despite my blog absence I have been continuing to try my luck with poker during that time. Things have been rough since May but at least the last week or so hasn't been too bad (if breaking even qualifies as such). With this weekend being Father's Day I thought I might try to get some good volume in and see if I couldn't make something happen.

With that in mind I started out on Saturday afternoon for a couple hours since the family came up with the idea of going to see "The A-Team" at around 6pm. Probably was a great idea as the afternoon set was a disaster. I did everything right from what I could tell, just can't seem to hold when I get in as the favorite. Going to the movie at this point might have been a great idea since I was pretty much lost for ideas on what to do at that point. Granted, looking back, there wasn't anything to do different... except for building a time machine or creating an alternate reality.

After the movie (which was fun) I decided to try my luck again. Sometimes you just have to get right back on the horse and just play your game. A few things went my way early, nothing huge, but at least I wasn't getting killed. I got deep in a few things and even had a short final table appearance in the $33 turbo on Cake, so things were going in a positive direction.

Finally, I started getting a few breaks. Winning a flip, a suckout on a 3-outter, overpairs holding to draws, and a few timely resteals here and there helped me win the $22 turbo MTT on UB for $1022! Suddenly I found myself feeling the rush again. I also won a seat to the $215 on UB in a $22 turbo satty right before going to bed... at 4am Sunday morning. I didn't care, I finally had something to be happy about.

I couldn't sleep. Well, not like "sleep", I took what seemed like 50 naps for the next 4 hours. Finally I just laid there like an idiot and eventually got up in time to talk a morning walk with my wife. The sun felt foreign to me and I felt like shit, but I somehow didn't really care. When we got back we went out for a nice lunch and returned in time to sit down for a couple hours of poker.

Things continued to go well. I hit a $320 score with a 4th in a $26 turbo rush MTT and won a $13 turbo knockout 90-man SNG for about $300 more. Throw in a min-cash in another game and some good fun in a private game and I found myself up about $1400 or so for the weekend. What a relief! I'm now suddenly up for June and at least feeling as if I might have an idea of what I'm doing again.

I'm still a good chuck off of my high point and I still have some work to do in that regard but at least I was able to stop the bleeding for a day or so. All this really proves is that you just never know when things might go your way. I've continued to study and work on things with my game and I've tried to make sure I've always played my best... and I really feel like I have. I've felt really comfortable with what I'm doing, its just nice to see a couple results once in a while.

We'll keep on keeping on tonight, I've got four more nights of grinding on Full Tilt to quality for Iron Man (so I can get the mid-year bonus) and I'd like to keep the mo on my side while I can. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment